The AISB Elementary School is characterized by a caring and challenging environment. Students learn to take risks and become sensitive to the world around them by participating in concrete experiences, relating to one another, acting responsibly and making positive decisions. We encourage children to explore their world by challenging them to think critically and to strive for continuous growth in an environment of learning. Our goal is to help children become independent life-long learners.
For each grade level, the core subjects include Language Arts (English), Math, Science, and Social Studies. Students will be exposed to programs of World Language (French) art, music, physical education, and computers. Throughout the day, the language of instruction is English, with the exception of their French class.
To promote the vision and mission of the school, the following components are also integrated throughout the Elementary Programs:
- The Six Pillars of Character: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, citizenship and caring
- The Six Traits Writing Process: word choice, ideas, voice, fluency, organization and conventions
- Community service learning
- Global citizenship
In the Elementary School (kindergarten to grade 5), we believe that:
- Learning is a partnership and shared responsibility between home and school
- Every child learns and is creative, intelligent and capable
- Critical thinking skills enable children to be successful learners and to reach their fullest potential
- Organizational skills are essential for students to make a successful transition into Middle School
- It is crucial for each child to develop positive communication skills, the ability to cooperate and resolve conflicts and enhanced self-esteem
- An academically challenging, nurturing and positive environment is essential for students to feel secure, confident and enthusiastic about school and learning as a life-long process
- Instruction must be differentiated to accommodate different learning styles and abilities so all students acquire knowledge, skills and understanding
- Active participation in community service learning, with a focus on the Six Pillars of Character, serves to help students become caring and compassionate global citizens